``` ```
No Cost Services

Missouri

Mallinckrodt Chemical Works
From 1942 to 1957, Mallinckrodt Chemical Company conducted a variety of milling and recovery operations with uranium chemical compounds at the St. Louis Downtown Site, also known as the Destrehan Street Plant. The plant refined uranium ore, ultimately producing uranium metal. The activities supported research, development, and production programs for the national defense program. By 1957, the Mallinckrodt Chemical Company had processed more than 45,000 metric tons (50,000 tons) of natural uranium products at its facilities. During closeout of operations in 1957, government-­owned buildings were either dismantled or transferred to Mallinckrodt as part of a settlement. Decontamination work continued to 1962 when the plant was released back to Mallinckrodt.

This listing of the Mallinckrodt Chemical Works (MCW), is intended to cover the entire area bounded in part by North* Broadway, Angelroot Street, and Salisbury Street. Destrehan Street runs through the middle of the entire area and is a common way to reference the plant, but is by no means the only valid building address. Many buildings are also on Mallinckrodt Street. Coverage includes, but is not limited, to the Main Plant, Plant 4, Plant 6, Plant 6e and Plant 7.

Throughout the course of its operations, the potential for beryllium exposure existed at this site.

*The original address for some buildings would have been Broadway Street. Today, these same buildings have the address of North Broadway Street.

St. Louis Airport Storage
The Manhattan Engineer District (MED) began utilizing the St. Louis Airport Storage Site (SLAPS) in 1946 as a place to store residues from the Mallinckrodt Chemical Works. The MED acquired title to the property on January 3, 1947. In 1973 the property was transferred back to the city of St. Louis. Then in 1984, through the Energy and Water Development Appropriations Act (Public Law 98-3060) the property was returned to the Department of Energy until 1997 when Congress transferred it to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.